Tuesday, August 25, 2009

2009 Baseball Card of the Year: 4th Nomination

When I first saw that there were Negro League Star cards in this year's Allen & Ginter set, I was thrilled! How often does this happen? I love any look into the Negro Leagues since historical information seems scarce, and collectibles even scarcer. This one features Clyde Parris. It states on the back that he played for the New York Black Yankees and the Louisville Buckeyes. He's shown here playing for a Panamanian team in his native country which he went to the Caribbean Series in '57 with. I don't know about you, but I would love to go to any local league's game in the Caribbean or Central America.. or Japan.. Korea.. Australia.. anywhere!

I've come across a few other Negro League cards in this set and I have a feeling there might be some more nominations for my pick of the year from these cards.

Noms thus far:
  1. Topps #559 Esteban German
  2. Topps # 124 Reed Johnson
  3. Topps # 7 Mickey Mantle
  4. Topps Allen & Ginter # 18 Clyde Parris
My Rules:
  1. Base cards only.
  2. Can only pick from cards I own. Any cards I do not own are automatically DISqualified!
  3. Focus will mostly be on photography. Design only plays a small part since this is base cards only.
  4. I'll pick as many noms as I want.
  5. You can suggest noms, but, see rule 2.
  6. I don't know yet how the best card will be selected. (contest?)
  7. The card subject must be about baseball and not the Milky Way or something like that.

3 comments:

Carl Crawford Cards said...

It is a great card!

When I was living in Mexico I got to go to a few games and started following the local team, Leones de Yucatan. They even won the Mexican League while we were there. It was awesome!

Jeremy said...

I love that Parris card. I pulled it the other day too. I like that it's a card of him running and not just posing.

Collective Troll said...

I love the team name-Cervesa Balboa, how cool is that?

Other Hobby Blogs