Tuesday, October 6, 2009

2009 Topps American Heritage American Heroes Edition - 2 Pack Break

I'm so glad Topps made a sequel to American Heritage! I love history in trading cards and the use of old Topps designs really adds to my love of these sets!

Pack 1. This one made me think as soon as I saw it. The sixth president in a "photograph"? Yes, it was what was called a "dagguereotype" which was taken in 1843. It has obviously had the color added to it since then. Very cool!

This floored me as soon as I saw it! I was super excited at the possibility of pulling a space relic from this set, but didn't have my hopes up, especially from only my second pack which was retail! Thanks to my lucky charm wife who pulled this pack out of a gravity feeder for me at the grocery store!


I love this insert set! Definitely a step up from the American Presidents inserts from the first set which are nice, but overdone and unnecessary. Also pulled #17 Charles Weltner, #99 Ralph Ellison and #111 Seneca Falls Convention. End pack 1.



While 1989 Topps wasn't the greatest looking set, it was one of the bigger sets of my childhood collection. So, these really hit home with me.

Another great insert set. I've seen this picture before though.. and it had the Yankees logo on the cap! Here it is. Now this photo is property of the Library of Congress and has no restrictions on it. Did Topps get this airbrushed photo from scanning some Post Cereal card from 1990 or something, or does Topps have to buy a licence for every set they put out and they just didn't feel like it for this set?

Another Medal of Honor insert. Also pulled #14 Claiborne Pell, #100 Carl Sagan and #120 Battle of the Bulge. End pack 2.

Looking forward to putting together the whole set with the insert sets too! Space cards rock!

2 comments:

Play at the Plate said...

I'm not a huge fan of non-baseball players in baseball sets, but I really do like these cards. They are what they are and you don't have to buy them if history isn't your thing. History is my thing so I like them. I MUST have one of those shuttle relics and I think the Medal of Honor set is my favorite.

night owl said...

I don't have any interest in these, but I bought my first one the other day, just because of the random inserts of ballplayers in them. I didn't get one. The contents of the pack will be going to those who collect the set.

Other Hobby Blogs